Home |Scope | Themes | Structure of Sessions | Call for Contributions | Submission Categories | Submission Guidelines | Submission
Building on the success of our thematic conference 2 years ago in Oxford, EDEN organised EDENRW9 in collaboration with the Institute of Education and the Center for Lifelong Learning at Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg in Oldenburg, Germany.
The workshop themes were organized along three broad lines of ODL research proposed by Zawacki-Richter and Anderson (2014). The issues and topics on each level addressed but were not limited to the following research areas.
- Emerging Distance Education Systems and Theories (Macro-Level), for example:
- Adaptive DE systems
- Lifelong and self-determined learning
- Globalization and international education
- Theories and models of DE
- History and trends in DE research
- Management and Organization Models and Approaches (Meso-Level), for example:
- Open educational strategies
- Learning analytics
- Student and faculty support
- Cost models for scalability
- Quality assurance
- Lifelong learning, adult education, VET, and open universities
- Evolving Practices in Technology Enhanced Learning and Teaching (Micro-Level), for example:
- Learner experience design
- Personal learning environments
- Digital identities and social networks
- Blended learning
- Rhizomatic learning
- Flipped classrooms
- Assessment, e.g., prior learning assessment, badges
- Competency-based education
- Open learning, open educational resources, and MOOCs
Keynote speakers were:
- Olaf Zawacki-Richter (Germany), Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
- Paul Prinsloo (South Africa), University of South Africa
- Inge de Waard (UK), Open University UK
- George Veletsianos (Canada), Royal Roads University
- Adnan Qayyum (USA), Pennsylvania State University
- Isa Jahnke (USA/Germany), University of Missouri
- Som Naidu (Australia), Swinburne University of Technology
Awards and recognitions
The EDEN Fellow Award was given in 2016, based on the decision of the EDEN Executive Committee to:
University of Oldenburg, Germany
The EDEN 2016 Best Research Paper Award for the conference paper “Use of moocs in traditional classroom: Blended learning approach” was granted to
Antonia Bralić & Blaženka Divjak
University of Zagreb, Croatia
The Young Scholar Support was granted to
Elisa Bruhn, for the conference paper “Towards a Framework for Virtual Internationalization”
Antonia Bralić for the conference paper “Use of moocs in traditional classroom: Blended learning approach”
Shaiffadzillah Omarali for the conference paper “Investigating the Effectiveness of the ‘Online Learner Profiling Questionnaire’ in Generating a Profile of Learners Based on Learner Dispositions: a Pilot Study”
Kristie Naidoo for the conference paper “Integration of Learning Analytics in Blended Learning Course at a University of Technology”
Videos, presentations and resources
The 9th EDEN Research Workshop – #EDENRW9 was rich in content and discussions. We collected some of the most popular resources here.
- Re-watch the plenary sessions on EDEN’s YouTube channel.
- Kenote presentations available online
- The detailed programme is downloadable here.
- The 2016 Best Research Paper is downloadable here.
- Visit our photo gallery of the event here.