The European Journal of Open Distance and E-learning (EURODL ) was launched in 1997 by the European Distance and E-Learning Network (EDEN) as an electronic, multi-media, open access journal that publishes research articles and presents scholarly work and solid information about open, distance, online and e-learning in technology-enhanced education and training in its inclusive definition.
The journal belongs
to EDEN with legal seat in the UK.
For EURODL the publication services are provided by Sciendo.
EURODL is a referred journal in the field and now is experiencing a relevant transformation to enhance further its quality, outreach and impact, also strengthening certifications on scholarly publications. It is an open access Journal and has no article processing (APC) or article submission charges.
The present Editor-in-Chief of EURODL, Dr. Ulrich Bernath (Oldenburg University and Foundation for Research in Open and Distance Learning, Germany), acting since 2014 has largely been supporting the journal’s distinguished role in the field.
The EDEN Executive Committee is launching in October 2020 a Call for Editor-in-Chief of EURODL to lead and manage a new period for the journal.
The characteristics and values of EURODL can be explained threefold:
1. Editorial process
- Open access and no APC (article processing charge)
- Two issues per year
- Total submissions per year: approximately 50.
- Acceptance rate: ca. 60%.
2. Scholarly approach
- Double-blind peer-review
- EURODL has been acknowledged among the leading Journals in Europe and worldwide in the open-distance-digital learning field. It meets the standard quality criteria, formal and technical requirements for scientific journals.
- Abstracting and indexing of EURODL has been continuous in different databases: DOAJ, EBSCO, ERIC, ESCI, etc.
- EURODL is Open access and is published online (no printed version)
- It has a global reach, with over 4000 subscribers (free)
- Wide international community of contributors: readers, authors, reviewers
- Scholarly impact: increasing citations in academic publications:
- Presence in social networks supported by EDEN communication channels
Eligible candidates and term
EDEN invites application of academics with citizenship or permanent residence of a European country.
Membership in EDEN: as faculty member of an EDEN member institution or as member of the EDEN Network of Academics and Professionals (NAP) will be an advantage in the selection. Applications from EDEN Senior Fellow of Fellow Award holders shall be particularly welcome.
The first term of assignment will be three years which is extendable.
Main tasks of Editor-in-Chief:
The Editor-In-Chief will be supported by a Managing Editor, who is Senior Officer at the EDEN Secretariat.
- Lead the Editorial Board, shape and enhance the profile of the Journal, in co-operation with the EDEN Executive Committee
- Co-ordinate the editorial workflow: first screening of the papers; selection of reviewers; follow up of the review process; communication with authors
- Coordination with the Managing Editor and publisher (external service provider) of the preparation of final versions of papers for publication.
- Communication and dissemination actions: liaison with academic indexing services and databases, support the social networking, publish Editorial introductions and announcements in the journal website
- Report on the Journal’s editorial work to the EDEN Executive Committee and the EDEN Annual General Meeting
The Managing Editor of EURODL is employee of the EDEN Secretariat working certain number of hours per week for the Journal.
The IT background and editorial portal (EasyChair) is arranged by EDEN.
Recommended profile of the Editor in Chief
- Solid understanding and participation in EDEN activities
- High level academic and research experience in open, distance, online and e-learning, technology-enhanced education and training
- A doctoral degree in the above field(s);
- Articles published in international journals; including those of Clarivate impact factor (Web of Science)
- Academic relations with European and international institutions in the field
- Experience from editorial work, including work as editor, member of editorial board and referee in international journals;
- Academic relations with international and European institutions;
- Technological insight related to Editorial Management Systems of online journals;
- Adhere to the COPE Ethical guidelines as described in “Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors” at https://publicationethics.org/resources/guidelines
The application should be written in English, not exceed 1500 words and include the following:
- The vision for EURODL and personal motivations of the candidate editor
- A brief action plan for the first two years, in relation to the vision
The application should include the following attachments:
- CV and publication list emphasizing scientific and editorial production
- Letter of support from the Head of the Institution of the applicant.
The EDEN Executive Committee will assign an Examination Board that will analyze the documents, and the qualified candidates will be invited by email for an online interview with the Examination Board
Once concluded the selection process of the qualified candidates, the Examination Board will announce the winning candidate
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview by virtual meeting before 30 November.
The successful candidate will be appointed by the EDEN Executive Committee.
The new Chief Editor will be invited to work together with the current CE for a transition period of about six months.
Candidates should apply from the date of this Announcement to November 15th by sending an email to the Secretariat of EDEN: secretariat@eden-online-org mentioning in the subject: EURODL Chief Editor Application.
The elected Editor-in-Chief will be in charge of the new editions from January 1st, 2020.
The editorial team of EURODL do not get paid. Some costs emerging with their work and travels to EDEN conferences or when representing the Journal at events may be compensated.
The institution of the EURODL Chief Editor is expected to acknowledge his work by some release of duties.
|Prof. Josep M. Duart|
Universitad Obert de Catalunya
EDEN Vice-President for Research
|Sandra Kucina Softic|