According to the Constitution (Pdf 98 kByte):
“A non-governmental educational association has been established under the name of European Distance and E-Learning Network, with the official abbreviation EDEN.
The aim of the association shall be to foster developments in open, distance, flexible and e-learning (hereinafter distance and e-learning) providing a platform for all the regions and countries of Europe for co-operation and collaboration between institutions, networks companies and other agencies in the field. The association may also develop links with non-European associations and institutions.
Working in conjunction with its members the association will endeavour to:
- promote co-operation and collaboration between existing institutions and networks involved in providing or using distance and e-learning both in Europe and on a world-wide basis,
- organise and support conferences, workshops and seminars to support professional development in the field of distance and e-learning in Europe,
- facilitate and foster research and development in distance and e-learning,
- make available information about current developments in distance and e-learning,
- participate in world-wide international co-operation and collaboration, take part in projects promoting such activities and encourage and assist members in the elaboration of collaborative projects,
- advise relevant national and international bodies, governmental and non-governmental, regarding education and training through distance and e-learning methods in Europe.”