Co-organised by Ellinogermaniki Agogi, the Institute of Educational Policy, the European Distance and E-Learning Network and the EDEN Digital Learning Europe in the framework of the Reflecting for Change project, the aim of the Open Classroom Conference 2021 “Real change takes place in deep crisis” was to explore the idea of “Open School” as an engaging environment that effectively introduces novel methodologies, tools and content by re-designing learning to accommodate and include difference and by bringing together families, community groups, local businesses, experts, universities, into an innovation ecosystem.
Τhe event took place on 22-24 October 2021 with around 100 participants, gathering researchers, K-12 teachers, school-leaders and other stakeholders of the sector. 8 keynote speeches, 9 paper presentations, 11 workshops and 40 innovative Greek school projects were on the agenda of the hybrid event.
The main workshop topics were:
- Development of educational hands-on STEAM activities in Geospatial and Environmental Science
- Cybercrime and the classroom: A game-based approach to building safer schools and communities
- Interdisciplinary and Transdisciplinary teaching of Natural Sciences: the POLAR STAR methodology
- Data Management and Ethical Challenges for Open Schools
- Using the R4C Self Reflection Tool: The School Innovation Profiling Tool and the School Innovation Planning Recommender System
- Building a Research Infrastructure for School Teachers
- The NEXT STEP in STEAM Education: Introducing the NEXT STEP for Innovation and Creativity in Schools through artistic, scientific and cultural initiatives
- Bringing Nobel Prize Physics to the Classroom
- Computational Thinking
- Open school communities as living labs co-creating solutions in their local social contexts
- Students optimize Large Research Infrastructures in Physics
Taking into account the special conditions under Covid19, the conference was held simultaneously in the premises of EA at Pallini, while it was available through virtual facilities (zoom and EA youtube channel). Participants were additionally able to join at the virtual conference hall of Ellinogermaniki Agogi in Second Life for a better conference experience.
Before the Conference, the first international meeting with a physical presence took place in the premises of the Ellinogermaniki Agogi after almost 2 years as the closing meeting of the Reflecting For Change project.