Since 2008, EDEN has bestowed the Best Research Paper Award at its Annual Conferences and the bi-annual Research Workshops.
A robust selection process guarantees the high-standing of these awards for contributions to the field of open, distance and e-learning. The selection process takes place in collaboration with the Ulrich Bernath Foundation for Research in Open and Distance Learning, with the support of a distinguished Jury.
Papers are evaluated against the following criteria:
- contributes convincingly to the theme(s) of the conference;
- deals with a research question of relevance for conference participants;
- rigorous examination/research methods are applied;
- findings, results and outcomes are convincingly presented and critically examined;
- conclusions are thoroughly discussed (including aspects like applicability, transferability, and/or further research);
- literature is reviewed against the state of art.
In addition, authors need to confirm that at least 30% of their paper is originated for the actual conference.