António Teixeira (Lisbon, 1965) is a Professor at Universidade Aberta, the Portuguese Open University (Department of Education and Distance Learning) since 1991, and a researcher at the University of Lisbon (Philosophy Center) since 2004.
From 2006 to 2009, he was Pro-rector for innovation in Distance Learning at Universidade Aberta. In that capacity, he conceived the strategy and managed the universitys successful and speedy transition process from a print-based distance learning institution to a fully online one. He was also responsible for the design and initial implementation of the universitys research lab on distance education (LEaD) and the universitys open access scientific repository (Repositório Aberto).
Hes also a Director and Secretary at Ibstpi International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction, since 2011.From 2007 to 2009, he was member of the Academic and Administration boards of Asias International Open University (UAIA) and of the Portuguese Rectors Council (CRUP) specialized committees on Scientific Research and Knowledge Transfer, and Evaluation, Quality and Innovation. Presently, hes a member of the International Advisory Board of the Distance Education and Learning Futures Alliance of the Massey University (New Zealand).
- European Journal on Online and Distance Learning -Eurodl, edited by EDEN;
- Revista de Universidad y Sociedad del Conocimiento – RUSC, edited by the Open University of Catalonia UOC (hes also a member of the editorial board);
- Journal in Applied Research in Higher Education (JARHE), edited by the Emerald Publishing Group;
- Revista de Enseñanza y Learning, edited by the University of Salamanca;
- Revista de Educación a Distancia RED, edited by the University of Murcia;
- Women Online Journal of Distance Education, edited by the Anadolu University;
- Philosophy @Lisbon Internacional eJournal, edited by the Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa;
- International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Review, edited by the Higher Education Teaching and Learning association;
- Formamente International Research Journal on Digital Future, edited by the Guide Association.
Hes also a reviewer for the British Educational Research Journal BERJ, edited by the British Educational Research Association, and the International Review of Research in Open, Distance and E-Learning IRRODL, edited by the Canadian Institute of Distance Education Research from the Athabasca University. Additionally, hes an expert evaluator for the EFQUEL European Foundation of Quality in E-learning.
Over the year he has participated in close to twenty international research projects, funded by the European Commission or the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. Additionally, hes been in a member of several task forces at the European Association of Distance Teaching Universities (EADTU) on open educational resources, lifelong learning, virtual mobility and sustainable development. Hes a member also of the e-ASEM network (Asia-Europe Meeting), since 2008, and of the Experts Board of the Horizon Report for Iberoamerica, since 2010.
Furthermore, hes participated in the scientific and/or organizing committees of over thirty international conferences, being notably responsible for organizing the ED-Media 2011 (Local Chair), the EDEN 2008 Annual Conference, the EADTU 20th Anniversary Conference, in 2007, all in Lisbon, the 7th Open Classroom Conference in Porto (2009) and CAFVIR 2013 and ICDE SCOP Meeting 2013, both in Lisbon.
He has delivered over ninety presentations at international conferences and published over sixty scientific articles and other publications. He was a visiting scholar at the Korean National Open University and received an EDEN Fellowship for demonstrating excellence in professional practice of open, distance and e-learning.
Read his posts on the President’s Blog